[geeks] Re: Need an opinion

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Fri May 17 22:05:53 CDT 2002

> One of two things is happening here. Either you're not reading my posts,
> or you don't know engines very well. Either seems equally plausible.

Okay - see, here you're being an asshole.  I've got an email aound my
deleted items that came from Woods that looks a whole lot like this...

> Note on the side of your average Dodge Cummins truck it says "Dodge
> Cummins Turbo Diesel." A turbocharger is a form of forced induction. I
> actually wrote the turbochargers FAQ if you'd like me to explain how it
> works.

That won't be necessary, I assure you.  At the risk of sounding like a
jerk, I doubt you could teach me something I don't already know.

I responded to the post in serial, not parallel, so that section (I
think) was inserted by me prior to the part where you insert the
disclaimer about forced induction.  I could be wrong, but at least I
admit to the possibility.

> > True, but it does change effective torque - the power put to the
>
> No, it does not. A turbocharger (or supercharger) also does not increase
> the compression ratio of an engine. These are common myths among car
> buffs.

Effective torque is a common term 'round here for the multiplied force
of torque as delivered to the pavement by the tires.  There's a
possibilty you misunderstood, and that I'm using a regional
colloquialism that you've not heard before, or has a different meaning
for you and your buddies.  I make no reference to compressions ratio, so
where you get that I don't know.

--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com