[geeks] ISDN router

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu May 16 22:43:16 CDT 2002

On Thu, 16 May 2002, Bill Bradford wrote:

> > Anyone got a cheap NAT-Capable ISDN router they want to part with?
> > It seems that trying to get both channels running via my serial
> > based terminal adapter is just being an obnoxious pain in the ass.
>
> Grab an Ascend Pipeline 50; they're *cheap* nowdays ($50 or less).

AAAACK!!!!

Bad, bad memories.  Pipelines suck planets through nanotubes; veritable
Office Space fodder.  The configuration system is contorted and
ass-backwards, and I had to reboot the ones at $previousOrkplace weekly.
Total pieces of crap that caused me (and my customers) no end of strife.

ciscoSystems makes a swarm of capable, NAT-savvy ISDN routers.  The
800-series ones are a little cheesy, but the 1600-series ones should give
you no problems whatsoever.  They're all going for fairly cheap on eBay
right now.  Total overkill would be a 2600-series, but, hey, if you ever
upgraded to a T1, at least you wouldn't have to upgrade your hardware.

NetGear makes one, as well, but I have no experience with it.

--Jonathan