[geeks] photogeeks?

Don McClure donindigo2 at mac.com
Thu May 16 21:01:44 CDT 2002

on 5/16/02 8:22 PM, alex j avriette at avriettea at speakeasy.net wrote:

> I've got some pictures I'm very happy with from the vacations out to san
> diego:
>
> http://satan.posixnap.net/~alex/ans.tiff
> http://satan.posixnap.net/~alex/seagull.jpeg
> http://satan.posixnap.net/~alex/wave.jpeg
>
> of the three of them, I think I like the first one enough to actually go
> get it printed and framed. i was thinking actually of getting it framed
> without reducing its size, i.e., printing it as a poster almost. i think
> it loses its charm when shrunk.

Nice pictures. You probably won't get much in the way of real quality if you
try to make a poster size print of the first one. Those pixels will get
mighty blocky above about 8x10. Color will get muddy too. You should have
used film. ;)

> first, i'd like opinions from people. but mostly i like it enough that
> im probably going to get it professionally printed anyways. :-) so
> second, i'd like to know how I go about doing that. are there photo
> geeks around who know what I need to do with digital images?

I bought an Epson Photo 820. They just lowered the price to under a hundred
bucks. With the happy snaps of my kids that I take with my Canon S100
Digital Elph, you can hardly tell the 4x6 inkjet prints from Wal-Mart One
Hour chemical prints. Just a touch less color saturation that I could
probably compensate with Photoshop, if I had the time.

For real work, I use my Leica M rangefinders, or Rapid Omega and Rolleiflex
medium format cameras.

Don McClure
Bel Air, MD