motors for kit cars (was Re: [geeks] Hmmmm fattening)

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Wed May 15 14:32:27 CDT 2002

>> Um, you have a pretty twisted idea of what a muscle car is.
>
> The coloquial term of "muscle car" is a small and light car with the
> biggest, most powerful engine that can be stuffed into the engine
> compartment.  Is that not correct?

So by your definition somebody who is "muscular" is a short guy with big
biceps? My definition of a "muscle car" is a vehicle that is able to
clobber other cars on the racetrack and/or on the street. This includes
mid-70's 3500lb+ cars with 400hp, 427 cobras (hell, even 289 cobras),
the Lotus Elise, and my particular car, a 280ZX Turbo (i dare you to
ask...).

Your definition applies to the term I've always heard described as
"pocket rocket." Sure, its a semantic difference, but "muscle car" is a
very broad term. Dont you think a Porsche 911 turbo is a muscle car? It
sure is heavy...

>>> I think a 10-cyl is too much weight.  I'm going to go with a
>>> small-block, bored out to larger displacement.  Which one?  heh, maybe
>>> a  360 bored and stroked to 408 :)
>>
>> Do you even know what a viper motor weighs?
>
> Yes - dry weight is ~550 (at least in the GTS-R) pounds.  Added to the
> engine bay with fluids, wires, and accessories it will weight more.  I'm
> not certain how much a 360 weighs, but I'm sure it weighs less than that
> - especially with aluminum heads.

Actually, I hadn't any idea what the engine weighs. That number seems
high -- perhaps that includes electronics and intake manifolds and
stuff? I generally consider an engine to be a "long block," rather than
a "working pull from vehicle." You are aware the viper motor is
all-aluminum?

Alex