motors for kit cars (was Re: [geeks] Hmmmm fattening)

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Wed May 15 14:46:18 CDT 2002

> So by your definition somebody who is "muscular" is a short guy with big
> biceps? My definition of a "muscle car" is a vehicle that is able to
> clobber other cars on the racetrack and/or on the street. This includes
> mid-70's 3500lb+ cars with 400hp, 427 cobras (hell, even 289 cobras),
> the Lotus Elise, and my particular car, a 280ZX Turbo (i dare you to
> ask...).
>
> Your definition applies to the term I've always heard described as
> "pocket rocket." Sure, its a semantic difference, but "muscle car" is a
> very broad term. Dont you think a Porsche 911 turbo is a muscle car? It
> sure is heavy...

I don't understand why you've got such an abrasive tone here.  Your
defenition of muscle car is different than mine.  So what?  What
difference does it really make?  Why try to start a fight over it?  If
you disagree, then say so, but jeez man - chill out.

Perhaps the term differs due to the geopgraphic location, group we hang
out in, and cars we like.  Whatever.  Either way, I stand by my original
statement.  An Elise is not *my* idea of a "muscle car".

And no, I don't think you can convert my idea of "muscle car" to
"muscular human" as you've done - we'd have to start a whole new thread
for that.

> >> Do you even know what a viper motor weighs?
> >
> > Yes - dry weight is ~550 (at least in the GTS-R) pounds.  Added to the
> > engine bay with fluids, wires, and accessories it will weight more.  I'm
> > not certain how much a 360 weighs, but I'm sure it weighs less than that
> > - especially with aluminum heads.
>
> Actually, I hadn't any idea what the engine weighs. That number seems
> high -- perhaps that includes electronics and intake manifolds and
> stuff? I generally consider an engine to be a "long block," rather than
> a "working pull from vehicle." You are aware the viper motor is
> all-aluminum?

Garg.  Again, that abrasive tone.  If you had no idea, why did you ask
in such a fashion - the question seemed patronizing to me instead of
inquisitory.  I hate patronizing tones - we already have one guy here
that's quite adept at patronization...

Whatever you call it, I'm fairly sure, based on questions I've asked of
the local engine builders and race shops, that the 360 weighs less than
the V10.  Comparing either bare blocks or crate assemblies.  If you know
better, please enlighten me with some links to specs.

Yes.  I am aware the Viper motor is an aluminum block.

--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com
Editor: "We need a new food critic, someone who doesn't immediately
poo-poo everything he eats."
Homer: "Naw, that usually takes a few hours."