[geeks] Very odd combination

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Mon May 13 08:40:36 CDT 2002

> > normally affected by mind-fuck movies.  There are two types of movies
> > that I will walk out of: 1) portrayal of violence against women or
> > children
>
> I'm curious.  Why women and children, but not men?
>
> No, let me rephrase that.  Any *rational* reason for hating such films?

Not sure - it's an emotional response, not a rational or logical one.
It affects me, but I can't say why.  I suppose it's the father/husband
reflex.  Violence against those without a method for fighting back
sickens me.  Presumably, somewhere in my brain, my logic is telling me
that men are more capable of fighting back.

However, I don't exclude men across the board - my reason #2 covers
this.

> >          2) *actual* pain/suffering/death.  Number one makes my blood
> > boil, two just makes me sick...
>
> Sometimes that's the point.  I can think of at least four pretty good films
> off the top of my head which use real footage of actual pain/suffering/death.
> In all four cases, they do it for a reason, not just for jollies.
>
> (Clockwork Orange, Cry Freedom, Salvador, Sarajevo)

It doesn't matter what the reason is, or whether anyone else thinks it's
a good reason.  Seeing people in pain or dying under violent
circumstances sickens me.  If the footage is of obvious death, pain, or
suffering - I will walk out.  I see no reason to subject myself to such
things.  I'm not saying that everyone should have the same reaction
either - just relaying my feelings.

> Of course, it helps that the latter pair are documentaries with a thin veneer
> of fiction over the top, and that Cry Freedom is also a fairly true-to-life
> retelling of real events, although with a fair amount of artistic re-
> arrangement.

That doesn't matter to me.  I won't watch it.

I'm the same guy that walked in on an attempted rape, and as a reflex
action, broke both the aggressor's elbows.  Given half a chance, I would
gladly become a superhero and fight the good fight against all purveyors
of violence and suffering.  But I don't see that being within the realm
of possibility any time soon.
--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com
Editor: "We need a new food critic, someone who doesn't immediately
poo-poo everything he eats."
Homer: "Naw, that usually takes a few hours."