[geeks] Very odd combination

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Mon May 13 08:10:47 CDT 2002

On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 08:35:38AM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> I also thought it was boring.  I was, however, entertaining.  I'm not
> normally affected by mind-fuck movies.  There are two types of movies
> that I will walk out of: 1) portrayal of violence against women or
> children

I'm curious.  Why women and children, but not men?

No, let me rephrase that.  Any *rational* reason for hating such films?

>          2) *actual* pain/suffering/death.  Number one makes my blood
> boil, two just makes me sick...

Sometimes that's the point.  I can think of at least four pretty good films
off the top of my head which use real footage of actual pain/suffering/death.
In all four cases, they do it for a reason, not just for jollies.

(Clockwork Orange, Cry Freedom, Salvador, Sarajevo)

Of course, it helps that the latter pair are documentaries with a thin veneer
of fiction over the top, and that Cry Freedom is also a fairly true-to-life
retelling of real events, although with a fair amount of artistic re-
arrangement.

--
David Cantrell | Member of the Brute Squad | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

  While researching this email, I was forced to carry out some investigative
  work which unfortunately involved a bucket of puppies and a belt sander
    -- after JoeB, in the Monastery