[geeks] Very odd combination

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Mon May 13 08:09:58 CDT 2002

On Monday, May 13, 2002, at 09:40 AM, Kurt Huhn wrote:

>>> normally affected by mind-fuck movies.  There are two types of movies
>>> that I will walk out of: 1) portrayal of violence against women or
>>> children
>>
>> I'm curious.  Why women and children, but not men?
>>
>> No, let me rephrase that.  Any *rational* reason for hating such films?
>>

> Not sure - it's an emotional response, not a rational or logical one.
> It affects me, but I can't say why.  I suppose it's the father/husband
> reflex.  Violence against those without a method for fighting back
> sickens me.  Presumably, somewhere in my brain, my logic is telling me
> that men are more capable of fighting back.
>
> However, I don't exclude men across the board - my reason #2 covers
> this.

Exactly.... a good example of men being used improperly in a film is
when Arnold used a man (bystander) as a human shield in Total Recall...
that was just sick and uncalled for...It's not really seeing the movie
and knowing its not real that's the problem, but rather the closeness to
real-life... i.e. what if you were minding your own business having just
shopped for your kids and some gangster in NY came running up the subway
stairs behind you and used you for the same damn thing...  Sort of why
people getting killed by energy weapons doesn't bother me as much.... no
likelihood of happening in real life for a good long time.

Andrew