[geeks] Re: [rescue] Introduction + Cray Solaris questions

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Sat May 11 20:00:47 CDT 2002

cc'ing to geeks, please reply there...

> > I wonder what it would take to convert my 1945 Briggs and Straton gasoline
> > generator to CNG / LPG / Propane... and be able to undo it at a moment's
> > notice.
>
> LPG convertion carbs are available for most engines, don't know about B&S tho'
>
> shouldn't be that hard. ;)

It can usually be done without any modification to intake or exhaust -
though electronics do need to be upgraded to handle the new fuel.  These
are typically commodity items.

As an example, propane injection in diesel engines is a very economical
method of increasing power (30% hp increase in most cases).
Essentially, all you do is install a bung in the air intake midway
between filter and manifold (turbo or otherwise), and stick the end of a
hose in that bung.  The other end of the hose is attached to the propane
tank (readily available, and DOT approved), and you install a pressure
switch to sense high-throttle conditions - so that the propane begins to
flow when you need that extra power.  It can be tuned for all sorts of
conditions.

Basically, carburetors and fuel injectors are a method of trying to make
a liquid fuel into a partial gas for easier combustion - propane, CNG,
and LPG are already gaseous.
--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com
Editor: "We need a new food critic, someone who doesn't immediately
poo-poo everything he eats."
Homer: "Naw, that usually takes a few hours."