[geeks] Re: [rescue] Introduction + Cray Solaris questions

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Sun May 12 00:45:05 CDT 2002

On Sat, 11 May 2002, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> > LPG convertion carbs are available for most engines, don't know
> about B&S tho' > > shouldn't be that hard. ;)

> It can usually be done without any modification to intake or exhaust -
> though electronics do need to be upgraded to handle the new fuel.  These
> are typically commodity items.

*1945* It's a 8 HP lawn mower motor!

> As an example, propane injection in diesel engines is a very economical
> method of increasing power (30% hp increase in most cases).
> Essentially, all you do is install a bung in the air intake midway
> between filter and manifold (turbo or otherwise), and stick the end of a
> hose in that bung.  The other end of the hose is attached to the propane
> tank (readily available, and DOT approved), and you install a pressure
> switch to sense high-throttle conditions - so that the propane begins to
> flow when you need that extra power.  It can be tuned for all sorts of
> conditions.

Thanks Kurt. Now I *know* I'm going to blow my LT1 when I get it.

(Hrm... wrap the area post-blower with metal tubing, pipe the propane
through it and use the pressure from the tank to force it into the engine.
Then you cool the air before it goes into the engine (more dense) and get
an HP boost. Niiiice. Two birds -- one stone.)