[geeks] Desktops

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Thu May 9 22:23:08 CDT 2002

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 11:25:41PM -0400, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> Win3.1 came out in '93 a few months before NT, so you have to be refering
> to 3.0, or else it was less than a decade.

no, now that you mention it, it may have been then.  my non-UNIX OS of choice
before that was DOS since it ran the CAD software i needed to use.

> I think we need something like Access.  A library for databases in a file
> that supports SQL, a gui builder, and simple tools to tie them together.
> But, it would probably work pretty well to just added it as a subset of
> one of the hypercard esque projects out there.

but Access assumes you are going to use some fucked up M$ database underneath
doesn't it?  i couldn't do work in access for export to Oracle or PostgreSQL
could i?  didn't think so.

the front end tool need to be:

a) independent of the backend

and

b) NOT windows fucking specific.

> Ahem.  Unless you count the kernel crashing as an editor flaw, emacs is pretty
> good on windows and MacOS.

ok, i didn't say that right.  emacs has nothing to do with windows or MacOS.
it just happens to run on them NOW THESE DAYS.  it us a "UNIX editor" in my
book.  editors that have been ported to Windows don't count as "Windows editors"

> Is it that hard to configure a LinuxPPC machine to run the stuff remotely on?

probably not.

> Then, who cares what your workstation is?

me.  i don't want a remote machine to run all my software, i want my workstation
to run all my software.  that's why i bought the damn thing in the first place.

> Great proof.

beats me.  i think george is funny.  i don't know shit about calc.  i fall into
the first group that doesn't know the proof. ;)

speaking of which, what's up george?  you've been rather quiet lately.

-brian
--
>  Of course...a PeeCee is useless after it's four months old, remember?
No, no. It's *valueless* after it's four months old.
It's useless the moment it's made.                   -- David Fischer --