[geeks] Desktops

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu May 9 22:41:55 CDT 2002

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 11:23:08PM -0400, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> > I think we need something like Access.  A library for databases in a file
> > that supports SQL, a gui builder, and simple tools to tie them together.
> > But, it would probably work pretty well to just added it as a subset of
> > one of the hypercard esque projects out there.
>
> but Access assumes you are going to use some fucked up M$ database underneath
> doesn't it?  i couldn't do work in access for export to Oracle or PostgreSQL
> could i?  didn't think so.
>
> the front end tool need to be:
>
> a) independent of the backend
>
> and
>
> b) NOT windows fucking specific.

I said something like Access, not Access.  That eliminates point B from
consideration.

Second, in theory you could create a file of access tables, and then in
access them through ODBC.  It would be slow, you would loose features, but
it would be back end independent.  But, we don't want access, just something
like it.

Ideally the similar solution would be backend independent, but we still lack
a good database for single user purposes (or single user at a time), short of
requiring mysql or postgres be installed and administered.  Sure, the is GDB
and BerkeleyDB, etc, but those don't provide enough features, like querying
via SQL commands.

Further, it is foolish to be too independent of backend because then you
loose out on non standard special features, which Postgres in particular is
full of.

> speaking of which, what's up george?  you've been rather quiet lately.

He chewed me out earlier today over ebay matters.

--
Joshua D. Boyd

Social Security - I have greater faith that Elvis is alive
and programming VAX assembler than that I will ever receive
a dime from it.  --  Patrick Giagnocavo