[geeks] Desktops

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu May 9 22:25:41 CDT 2002

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 10:35:48PM -0400, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> i was lucky enough to get myself out of that game before it started.  i ran
> win3.1 for a month until i descided i was FAR better off using BSD. that was,
> uhm, ahhhhhh, 10 years ago?  no, had to be more than that.  or was it?  hell,
> it was so long ago, i can't even rememebr anymore. :)

Win3.1 came out in '93 a few months before NT, so you have to be refering
to 3.0, or else it was less than a decade.

> learn SQL and you will go far.  learn Access and you will drown in your own
> feces.

I think we need something like Access.  A library for databases in a file
that supports SQL, a gui builder, and simple tools to tie them together.
But, it would probably work pretty well to just added it as a subset of
one of the hypercard esque projects out there.

> you have a HUGE choice of editors on unix.  and they *ALL* kick the shit out
> of any editor you can find for winders.

Ahem.  Unless you count the kernel crashing as an editor flaw, emacs is pretty
good on windows and MacOS.

> ok, so there are definitely options out there.  as long as you avoid IRIX.

Is it that hard to configure a LinuxPPC machine to run the stuff remotely on?
Then, who cares what your workstation is?

> Don't get too bent out of shape, for half the world, Calculus is
> incomprehensible until they learn the epsilon-delta proof.  After learning
> the epsilon-delta proof, it's incomprehensible for most of the other half.

Great proof.

--
Joshua D. Boyd

Social Security - I have greater faith that Elvis is alive
and programming VAX assembler than that I will ever receive
a dime from it.  --  Patrick Giagnocavo