[geeks] Solaris 8 partitioning

Peter L. Wargo pwargo at basenji.com
Thu Mar 14 20:01:56 CST 2002

On Thursday, March 14, 2002, at 05:45 , Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> The only worry I have about /var is mail over flowing.  Otherwise, you
> plan
> sounds easier.  I thought lots of paritions was supposed to be good.

Here's /var on basenji.com, which handles a good deal of mail:

/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s3    1016311  389994  565339    41%    /var

So, about 390 megs used.  However, if we look at the big offenders:

pwargo at rogue:/var
103 %du -s -k * | sort -rn | head
120257  sadm
103188  tmp
93893   mail
51829   log
3934    adm

We can see that only about 100M is used for mail.  It whould be less,
there are a few inactive accounts that I really need to purge.  (BTW,
/var/sadm/pkg is the biggest offender, another sign that it's time to
clean things up.)

Oh, and 33M of /var/mail is *one* inactive user who I need to nuke.
Remember, mail should not stick around in /var/mail.  I use IMAP, and
keep all my mail files in my home dir.

> One question, at the minimum, why isn't /tmp and swap on different
> drives
> good?  I really don't know anything about tmpfs though.  Time to go
> searching.

Well, you can put swap on both drives, but on a U1 I don't think it's
that necessary.  Tmpfs is essentially a filesystem in swap (phys + vm,
as in solaris it's all one thing).  It's nice, because it's fast.
Generally, /tmp shouldn't fill up, unless somebody has made a mistake.

-Pete