[geeks] Solaris 8 partitioning

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Mar 14 19:45:16 CST 2002

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 05:31:06PM -0800, Peter L. Wargo wrote:
> On Thursday, March 14, 2002, at 10:23 , Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>
> >So, here is my current plan:
> >/ 100megs on the 2.1gig drive
> >swap 384 megs on the 2.1gig drive
> >/var 100megs on the 2.1gig drive
> >/usr 1.5gigs on the 2.1 gig drive
> >/tmp 1gig on the 4.3 gig drive
> >/var/mail 200 megs on the 4.3gig drive
> >/home 2.8gigs on the 4.3gig drive.
>
> Too much partitioning.  My suggestion:
>
> / = all but 256M of boot disk (2.1g)
> 256M of swap.
>
> Make the 4.3G drive /export/home
>
> You don't need a /tmp, tmpfs is better.   If you feel the need for a
> separate /var, make it 512M on the 2.1G drive, taking away from root.
> (I do this if I expect /var to fill up.)

The only worry I have about /var is mail over flowing.  Otherwise, you plan
sounds easier.  I thought lots of paritions was supposed to be good.

One question, at the minimum, why isn't /tmp and swap on different drives
good?  I really don't know anything about tmpfs though.  Time to go searching.

--
Joshua D. Boyd