[geeks] Solaris 8 partitioning

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Fri Mar 15 05:49:53 CST 2002

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 06:01:56PM -0800, Peter L. Wargo wrote:
> On Thursday, March 14, 2002, at 05:45 , Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > One question, at the minimum, why isn't /tmp and swap on different
> > drives
> > good?  I really don't know anything about tmpfs though.  Time to go
> > searching.
> Well, you can put swap on both drives, but on a U1 I don't think it's
> that necessary.  Tmpfs is essentially a filesystem in swap (phys + vm,
> as in solaris it's all one thing).  It's nice, because it's fast.
> Generally, /tmp shouldn't fill up, unless somebody has made a mistake.

Unfortunately, it is my experience that people often do make those
mistakes.  But tbh, having /tmp fill up causes just as much trouble as
using all your VM, as so many apps like to create files in /tmp and they
can fail in interesting ways.

--
Grand Inquisitor Reverend David Cantrell | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

      Good advice is always certain to be ignored,
      but that's no reason not to give it            -- Agatha Christie