Fanatics (Was: Re: [geeks] Booze and Religion)

Amy scoobydoo at ohno.mrbill.net
Sun Mar 10 15:05:53 CST 2002

On Sun, 10 Mar 2002, Peter L. Wargo wrote:

> On Sunday, March 10, 2002, at 09:42 , Amy wrote:
>
> > no offense, man, but pretty much 99% of people are antagonized by
> > unwanted salespeople and whether you admit it or not, you're selling
> > your version of god like other people go door to door and hawk home
>
> Oddly enough, I don't seem to mind it.  I've *never* had a JW press the
> issue - I tell 'em I'm happy, we chat, they go away.  I also take the
> time to talk to sales people, survey takers, etc.  (I think part of me
> feels sorry for anybody who has to walk up our driveway.  It's the
> burden we have to bear for the view.)

all of them that come by here are extremely pushy. they don't like being
rebuffed or told nicely that we weren't interested. i figure they come by
once every two weeks, sometimes more often.

the mormons, in comparison, were much nicer. i explained that i wasnt into
religion, gave them some chilled bottled water (it was 110 degrees out and
they were wearing suits. i felt sorry for em)  and they understood
and never came back.

> I try to be polite to everybody.  As long as they are not pushy, I can
> spend a few minutes w/'em.  If they are a pain in the ass, I'm somewhat
> more blunt.

oh i'm perfecty polite, but not friendly. there's a big difference :)

> At least I'm in my own territory.  I hate it when a Dentist (for
> example) waits until you are in the chair and helpless to stop their
> sales pitch.

both my parents were salespeople. when my dad lapses into his 'radio sales
voice' i go ballistic nowadays. :)

--a