Fanatics (Was: Re: [geeks] Booze and Religion)

Peter L. Wargo pwargo at basenji.com
Sun Mar 10 13:33:04 CST 2002

On Sunday, March 10, 2002, at 09:42 , Amy wrote:

> no offense, man, but pretty much 99% of people are antagonized by
> unwanted salespeople and whether you admit it or not, you're selling
> your version of god like other people go door to door and hawk home

Oddly enough, I don't seem to mind it.  I've *never* had a JW press the
issue - I tell 'em I'm happy, we chat, they go away.  I also take the
time to talk to sales people, survey takers, etc.  (I think part of me
feels sorry for anybody who has to walk up our driveway.  It's the
burden we have to bear for the view.)

I try to be polite to everybody.  As long as they are not pushy, I can
spend a few minutes w/'em.  If they are a pain in the ass, I'm somewhat
more blunt.

At least I'm in my own territory.  I hate it when a Dentist (for
example) waits until you are in the chair and helpless to stop their
sales pitch.

-Pete