[geeks] Booze and Religion

Mike Meredith hmv at meredithm.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Mar 9 04:46:49 CST 2002

On Saturday 09 March 2002 02:57, you wrote:
> I find it funny that when poked at, at vegetarian will get defensive
> and hostile.  When a steak-eater gets poked at, they say "yeah,
> so...".

There's a huge difference between poking fun at vegetarians and poking
fun at steak/meat eaters. Vegeterians are a minority, and whilst for
some it is simply a life-style choice, for others it is a deeply held
belief that eating meat and fish is wrong.

Sure meat-eaters can be fairly religeous about their eating habits too,
but the Church of the Juicy Steak is rich and well attended whereas the
Church of the Lettuce Leaf regularly gets daubed with insulting
graffiti.

Most v's encounter a huge amount of pressure to conform when they
become v --- from both society and from friends and family ("just try
this piece of juicy bacon ... I'm sure you'll like it"). The pressure
from society to conform is less blatent, but relentless.