[geeks] question about audi and jetta seats

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Jul 30 09:19:38 CDT 2002

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 08:32:56PM -0400, Tim H. wrote:
> VWs and Audis 1980-1990 use a different way :-)
>
> there are two channels actually welded into the floor pan on either side
> of the seat area, and the seat has sliders that slide in these channels.
>  The seat front/rear positioner is a rail on the bottom of the seat that
> interracts with a catch positioned right about in the middle under the
> seat.  To remove the seat you remove a stop bolt from this center rail,
> pull up under the position lever and  slide the seat back and out of the
> channels.  There may be little plastic caps at the back of the channel,
> these pop right out, or have a screw to hold them in.  I did the whole
> thing with my leatherman.
>
> It can be done in seconds once you have figured it out the first time.

Yep.  I finally found a seat in decent condition this past weekend at
a junkyard.  But, it is too tall.  However, the non height adjustable
seats have just a steal pipe on either side in the rear to the slider
that fits in the chanel.  I figure it should be easy enough to cut
1.5-2 inches off and then weld the ends back on.  I was going to go to
my grandfathers last night to do it, but couldn't because my car spent
the day in the shop yesterday (it had a really bad knocking sound that
really paniced me.  The mechanic took it for a test drive and heard
nothing, but from my description thought it was probably the inner CV
joints and thoroughly lubed them, and now it seems normal again).

--
Joshua D. Boyd