[geeks] question about audi and jetta seats

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Tue Jul 23 19:32:56 CDT 2002

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 18:05:02 -0500
Mike Hebel <nimitz at owc.net> wrote:

> I don't know if it helps but there's only two ways that I've ever seen
>
> _any_ seats mounted in cars.

VWs and Audis 1980-1990 use a different way :-)

There are no bolts to unscrew.

there are two channels actually welded into the floor pan on either side
of the seat area, and the seat has sliders that slide in these channels.
 The seat front/rear positioner is a rail on the bottom of the seat that
interracts with a catch positioned right about in the middle under the
seat.  To remove the seat you remove a stop bolt from this center rail,
pull up under the position lever and  slide the seat back and out of the
channels.  There may be little plastic caps at the back of the channel,
these pop right out, or have a screw to hold them in.  I did the whole
thing with my leatherman.

It can be done in seconds once you have figured it out the first time.

I haven't looked at anything newer, but VW/Audi is usually pretty slow
to change something that works.

I did measure the width in my '85 Audi 4000 quattro, and in my '90 Jetta
GLI, and the Jetta is about half an inch wider than the Audi, so they
are not interchangeable.  I don't know if this is true of all 4000s, or
if it is just the quattros which may have a wider hump because there is
a drive shaft under it.  Bummer too, because the seats out of my Audi
are in great shape, and would have been cheap.

Tim