[geeks] question about audi and jetta seats

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Tue Jul 30 14:49:31 CDT 2002

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002 10:19:38 -0400
Joshua D Boyd <jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu> wrote:

> Yep.  I finally found a seat in decent condition this past weekend at
> a junkyard.  But, it is too tall.  However, the non height adjustable
> seats have just a steal pipe on either side in the rear to the slider
> that fits in the chanel.  I figure it should be easy enough to cut
> 1.5-2 inches off and then weld the ends back on.  I was going to go to
> my grandfathers last night to do it, but couldn't because my car spent
> the day in the shop yesterday (it had a really bad knocking sound that
> really paniced me.  The mechanic took it for a test drive and heard
> nothing, but from my description thought it was probably the inner CV
> joints and thoroughly lubed them, and now it seems normal again).
>
> --
> Joshua D. Boyd

hmm, your mechanic probably knows what he is talking about, but I have
never seen an inner CV joint go on an audi or volkswagen, and the sum of
volkswagen and audi odometers currently in the family right now is
probably > half a million (of course not all of those miles aren't ours,
we can't afford new German cars :-))  I have personally swapped a
handful of outers, but no inners, not even the ones I yanked on with a
chain before I learned that they screw to a flange, not pop out like
american ones.

I haven't seen a non-height adjustable seat, but based on the way they
are all built it should be doable, but it will lean the bottom of the
seat back a bunch.

Tim