[geeks] Go Apple....

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Tue Jul 30 05:21:11 CDT 2002

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 05:59:30PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> On Monday, July 29, 2002 at 15:59:48 (+0100), David Cantrell wrote:
> > Cite, please.
> ancient usenet postings....

When one is asked for a citation, it is customary to reply with somewhat
more precision.  You may as well say "oh, I read it in a book somewhere".

> but isn't it obvious?  read some of Wall's own perl code for goodness sake!

Huh?  How does that prove what the intent behind the language is?  Sure,
some of it is impenetrable.  Much of that was written for fairly early
versions of the language which lacked many of the features which we now
use when writing clean code.  Yes, early versions of the language were
intended to make it easy to write quick hacks.  Quick hacks tend not to
be particularly maintainable, nor do they need to be as they get thrown
away after use.  Nowadays when we talk about perl, we mean perl version 5.
More specifically, we usually mean version 5.005 (released in mid-1998)
and later.

> > So what?  SelfGOL was specifically intended to be awful.  To use that as
> > an example of why perl is bad is foolish at best.
> then I guess you haven't actually heard the "extreme programming"
> version of the talk....

You guess wrong.  That is often the case when people guess.

> Sane people might use such an example of how not to write Perl code, but
> Perl programmers use it for ideas and insight into the language ...

So you are saying that perl programmers are not sane.

Like all fools, you are becoming tiresome.  This thread is over.

--
David Cantrell    |    Degenerate    |    http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

WARNING! People in front of screen are stupider than they appear
    -- Tanuki the Raccoon-dog, in the Monastery