[geeks] Wooh - Mac OS X.2

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Jul 19 08:38:17 CDT 2002

On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 01:00:13AM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>
> > I've heard rumors that one of the vendors of MacOS SDI cards was
> > thinking of adding Irix and Solaris support.  I wish I could remeber
> > which one.
>
> I'd bet on Solaris, since the cards could use the same firmware and would
> "just work", so long as you had the right drivers.  I'm not intimately
> familiar with the IRIX kernel, but it looks like an utter bitch to write
> drivers again, especially if you want them to run on more than one system
> architecture.

I was under the impression that card firmware didn't matter much for
cards not involved in the boot process, as a general rule.  After all,
the 3com eisa cards people have been sticking in I^2s certainly
wouldn't have SGI firmware.

It seems to me that Solaris should be perfectly decent for media
processing, if only more people would take it seriously.  But nothing
particularly seems to last long, and people are probably afraid of
being burnt by dropped support (LW I believe has been dropped, Nendo
has virtually been dropped, who knows how long EI will last).

--
Joshua D. Boyd