[geeks] How old am I and where do I come from...

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Thu Jul 18 13:26:23 CDT 2002

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 14:04:40 -0400
Joshua D Boyd <jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu> wrote:

> It is stupid to bash schools for having 486s in use.  Why should they
> buy something newer in the 486s do the job, and I can't believe that
> in any school district there wouldn't be numerous places where 486s
> would be more than enough.

I wasn't bashing them for the 486s (it did sound that way though) I was
bashing them because the 486s aren't up to the job they want them for,
but they refuse to make technology enough of a priority to do something
about it.  A lot of the 486s in my area are in labs that used to be
populated with apple][s, so they trickled the apples down to elementary,
and put in fancy new PC labs, but the usability of the lab goes downhill
from there, to the point that the machines are used a few times a week
for a poorly taught keyboarding class, or they are still teaching Word
Perfect 5 (not dissing WP5) as though it were like a modern WP program.
The Apple][s are mostly gone through attrition now, but I think they got
more productive use from them than from the PCs that replaced them.