[geeks] How old am I and where do I come from...

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Jul 18 13:04:40 CDT 2002

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 01:52:17PM -0400, Tim H. wrote:
> Compare that to the district I live in, which last I knew still had 486s
> in use, multiple buildings with fiber connection, but nobody knows how

It is stupid to bash schools for having 486s in use.  Why should they
buy something newer in the 486s do the job, and I can't believe that
in any school district there wouldn't be numerous places where 486s
would be more than enough.

> but yeah, Education isn't a great field if you want to make money, pay
> sucks.  And I just interviewed for a mechanical tech position at a State
> University college.  Oh well, some pay is better than none.

State universities can sometimes have great toys.  My school's CS
department bought a SS10 with ZX board when they were still
phenominally expensive.  They bought an Onyx when a base Onyx RE2 was
still a $200k machine.  They bought a SS330 when those were new and
fast, then stuffed an amazingly expensive video grabber board in it.
They board a few robots for large amounts of money.  For the past few
years now, they've been buying the best haptics equipment that money
can buy.  So, sure they don't pay the support guy all that much I'm
fairly sure, but at least his has a lot of great toys at his
disposal.

--
Joshua D. Boyd