[geeks] digicam envy

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Jul 15 10:36:19 CDT 2002

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 11:24:48AM -0400, Tim H. wrote:

> A channel is a channel, just get a board big enough to handle the
> channels you want.  It isn't any harder to slide/turn two sliders/knobs
> than it is one.  I really wouldn't expect great quality out of a Nady,
> the little Mackies are OK, and don't take up much room.  Or
> alternatively, you could make one, since your needed controls are a lot
> less than most mixers.  Op amps aren't hard to work with, and are very
> clean, just lay out one channel and cut and paste for as many as you
> need.  Let me hunt, somewhere I had a mixer schematic.

Well, I don't expect the greatest from Nady usually either.  But I'd
hope that they would be good enough to keep me happy while simplifying
my office.  It's not this is being used as studio or anything.  But, I
haven't bought a Nady yet anyway.

Alternately I've been eyeing a kawai 8 chanel rack job.  But, it seems
overkill, I'd have to buy a ton of adaptors, and I don't know where
I'd fit it.  Putting on the stack of equipment that is rackmountable
and will be racked when I get one seems pretty stupid (routers, smart
switches, a sun 3/280), but my desk doesn't have room for something
like that either.  A mackie 1202 would be pushing it as well, but I
might be able to make it fit...  I've seen some really small peavies
that might fit...  But they all cost non-trivial amounts of cash.

Building my own might be an option, as you say.  FYI, one simple 4
chanel mixer has schematics here:
http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/intro_opamp2.html  Care to make any
comments about it?

--