[geeks] digicam envy

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Mon Jul 15 10:24:48 CDT 2002

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 11:13:23 -0400
Joshua D Boyd <jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu> wrote:

> Doesn't surprise me.
>
> On the topic of sound gear, I want to know why I can't find much in
> the way of simple stereo mixers (meaning each chanel is stereo, rather
> than that each chanel can be panned left and right).  The only thing I
> can find is the Nady MM-4.  What I want it for is to take the audio
> from a number of devices (1 mac, 1 win9x machine, 1 linux machine, 1
> playstation), and mix it together before sending to 1 set of
> speakers.  I mean, surely I can't be the only one who thinks it would
> be nice to have one nice a speakers that everything uses, versus 1
> nice set of speakers, and 3 pairs of crap?  Something simple like 8
> RCA inputs and 2 rca outputs, 9 sliders, a headphone jack and volume
> control, and a line out mute button are all I really need.
>
> --
> Joshua D. Boyd

A channel is a channel, just get a board big enough to handle the
channels you want.  It isn't any harder to slide/turn two sliders/knobs
than it is one.  I really wouldn't expect great quality out of a Nady,
the little Mackies are OK, and don't take up much room.  Or
alternatively, you could make one, since your needed controls are a lot
less than most mixers.  Op amps aren't hard to work with, and are very
clean, just lay out one channel and cut and paste for as many as you
need.  Let me hunt, somewhere I had a mixer schematic.

Tim