[geeks] digicam envy

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sun Jul 14 22:11:45 CDT 2002

On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 09:41:07AM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > Irix kinda supports fire-wire drives.  Specifically, fire-wire drives
> > are either IDE or SCSI inside the case.  SCSI drives can be removed
> > and connected directly to the Irix machine.  IDE drives need a SCSI to
> > IDE adapter.  Oh, and I'm sure either FAT32, NTFS, or UFS support
> > would be needed.
> >

> I knew that Irix had support for fire-wire, but I thought it was central to
> video capture - as a replacement for the O2 A/V module.  I have not, however,
> looked to confirm that it won't support drives.  I'm mostly interested in using
> fire-wire drives to expand the existing storage capacity without hunting for
> 1/3rd hight drives and another sled for my O2.

I was trying to be sly and saying that if you take your fire-wire drive
and pull the drive out, you can use the drive directly (or with a
SCSI<->aide adapter as appropriate) on an Irix machine.

That said, one machine, perhaps the Onyx and Origin 300s and 3ks, uses
a fire-wire CD-ROM (actually a IDE CD-ROM with a fire-wire adapter).  It
seems that thought that fire-wire native cdroms would take off and that
it would be a valid, non-compromising way to shave costs.

--
Joshua D. Boyd