[geeks] digicam envy

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Mon Jul 15 08:06:16 CDT 2002

Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> I was trying to be sly and saying that if you take your fire-wire drive
> and pull the drive out, you can use the drive directly (or with a
> SCSI<->aide adapter as appropriate) on an Irix machine.

Ah, okay.  I'm a little slow on the uptake these past few days.  I'm getting
better though...

> That said, one machine, perhaps the Onyx and Origin 300s and 3ks, uses
> a fire-wire CD-ROM (actually a IDE CD-ROM with a fire-wire adapter).  It
> seems that thought that fire-wire native cdroms would take off and that
> it would be a valid, non-compromising way to shave costs.

I seem to recall that, but for some reason it never took off.  It's a shame,
firewire seems a good way to add cheap IDE drives to a system for big storage.
I have no idea how fast that would be though - and I suppose all Irix lacks is
a set of drivers for hard drives.  Probably not *too* difficult to write,
except if you lack the programming skillz - as I do...

--
Kurt                   "What me look like, ricecake monster?
kurt at k-huhn.com         Me Cookie Monster!  Me need COOKIE!" --Cookie Monster