[geeks] 4th of july plans

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Thu Jul 4 08:00:20 CDT 2002

David Cantrell wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 11:33:53PM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> > "Tim H." wrote:
> > >
> > > I know I'm horribly out of date, but FPS has not been improved since
> > > DoomII.  I still come back to Doom when I want to play a non-arcade
> > > game, and I don't generally like Arcade shooters either.
> >
> > How so "not been improved".  Medal of Honor is a quantum leap ahead of Doom II
> > as far as I'm concerned...
>
> What I hate about most modern games is that they try to be arcadey and
> shooty but they make you think.  If I want to think, I'll go and read
> Plato or play Pontifex.  I play games because I want to have a blast.  That's
> why Doom is good, Quake is less good, and all other FPSen are shit.  That's
> why GTA is good, no thinking required, just drive around and run grandmothers
> over.

I agree.  I tried to play Syphon Filter the other day and, while having decent
gameplay, it requires a lot of thought, and requires you to develop rather
extensive 'gamepad skillz'.  That lasted about 5 minutes, then I popped in Gran
Turismo 2 and went fast...

--
Kurt                   "What me look like, ricecake monster?
kurt at k-huhn.com         Me Cookie Monster!  Me need COOKIE!" --Cookie Monster