[geeks] *rant*

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Wed Feb 6 01:14:46 CST 2002

Got into work at midnight tonight to unrack a system, move around some
inter-cabinet rails, then put the box back up.  No biggie, right?

Well, something *always* happens.

Unracked the box, adjusted rails, put box back in.  Hookup console server,
boot back up.  Veritas temporary licenses expired 275 days ago.

*shit*

Look in license key repository, there's keys.  Okay, someone forgot to
install the permanent licenses.  No biggie.

vxlicense -c, yadda yadda.

Someone requested the permanent keys for an E450 instead of an E250, and
therefore the keys dont work.

So, I end up on the phone to Sydney, Austrailia, at 1am US Central Time,
opening a trouble ticket.

thought: Veritas puts women on front-line phones to calm down very pissed
         off sysadmins, before they get to the engineers?

Anyway, got on the phone with a guy with a weird accent, it was either
oriental or australian or both.  He got me temporary keys, and I'm going
to kick someone's ass tomorrow before I submit a license-reassign form to
get keys for the correct host type.  We got keys for the correct hostid,
but the incorrect machine type.

This is the last thing I wanted to deal with at 1am on a Wednesday.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net