[geeks] help identify this sun cpu?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Dec 3 16:41:12 CST 2002

On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, Dave McGuire wrote:

>    Hi folks.  I've just run across a "Sun SPARC CPU" on eBay that I
> cannot identify.  Has anyone seen anything like it?  At first I thought
> it was a 4/600 board, but look at the empty pads at the top of the pic,
> and look at the ejector handles and retainer screws...that is *not* a
> 4/600, at least not like any other I've seen.

Nope, it's not a 4/6x0 card, but it does have Sun ASICs on it and a TI
mbus module.  Who made Solaris-compatible VME SPARCs?  Tatung?  Fujitsu?
I'll bet it'd work in a 4/670MP chassis, though, but would be
functionally equivalent to a SS1000 CPU card.  Mmmm...

> It seems to have an mbus module on it (but on the wrong side of the
> board for it to be a 4/600), and a strange, very long card in one of
> the sbus slots, but extending the wrong way along the board.

That probably means that whatever service it provides is provided over
the VME bus.  Perhaps a bridge-card for a sbus expansion board?

--
Jonathan Patschke
  "Albert Einstein nailed space-time, but the wild thing had him stumped.