[geeks] help identify this sun cpu?

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Tue Dec 3 17:09:45 CST 2002

On Tuesday 03 December 2002 10:41 pm, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, Dave McGuire wrote:
> >    Hi folks.  I've just run across a "Sun SPARC CPU" on eBay that I
> > cannot identify.  Has anyone seen anything like it?  At first I
>
> Nope, it's not a 4/6x0 card, but it does have Sun ASICs on it and a
> TI mbus module.  Who made Solaris-compatible VME SPARCs?

ICL did (the DRS6000). It could be a CPU board for one of those,
although admittedly because the DRS6000 was the only SPARC-based VME
system I've encountered, I'd probably think every VME card with a SPARC
used to belong to a DRS6000.

Brings back fun memories ... I tested BIND8 by compiling the source code
on the DRS6000 (running svr4.2smp) and running the binaries on an SS1
... the DRS was too unreliable to run continuously, but was a lot
faster than the SS1.