[geeks] RE: [rescue] Re: coffee

dave at cca.org dave at cca.org
Thu Aug 8 12:23:03 CDT 2002

Will.Enestvedt at jwu.edu writes:

>> Try roasting your own.
>>
>   Been there, done that, moved on: I have two kids, no counter space, and a
>wife with only finite patience. Given that I paid something like $5.50 a
>pound for this stuff, including shipping, and it was roasted less than 36
>hours before, I am content.

I've gone through my coffee gourmet period, and gotten over it.
I still only drink latte at home, but I don't worry about the beans
too much.  (I buy "Mauro" coffee, pre-ground, on Atwells.)

I use one of those stove-top Italian espresso makers. They're
fantastic, and really cheap. (I have one of the *really* nice
stainless steel imported-from-Italy ones, and they go for $40
new.)

If you ever go to brunch at Julian's on Broadway, check out the
espresso machine. It's a vertical boiler, the same design as the
very first commercial espresso machines, built around 1900. Very
nice. (The guy that runs it is only in on sat & sun for brunch.)

>> > Johnson & Wales University -- Providence, RI
>> Isn't J&W that famous cooking school?
>>
>   How nice of you to notice! :7) Yes, that's us: we loosed Emeril on the
>world, as well as thousands of other food service professionals. Though

Didn't J&W do the food scene in "Amistad"?

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org -------
---------- "Anything Jesus can do, I can do better." - The Locust ----------