[geeks] RE: [rescue] Re: coffee

William Enestvedt Will.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Thu Aug 8 09:27:42 CDT 2002

> But the fact that they were shipped and not used immediately
> means that they've already lost flavor and are sliding down
> that slippery slope that makes them taste like pencil grounds. :-(

   Yeah, well, fater the infant needs to be fed twice in the same night, my
mouth tastes like pencil shavings too. Anyway, relax: it was a single day!
:7)

> Try roasting your own.

   Been there, done that, moved on: I have two kids, no counter space, and a
wife with only finite patience. Given that I paid something like $5.50 a
pound for this stuff, including shipping, and it was roasted less than 36
hours before, I am content.

> If you're carefull about cleaning it, a kitchen blender makes
> a good coffee grinder.

   Actually, I have one of those little Krups grinders, so at least I can
grind the beans the moment before I use them...on weeekends. Weekdays I have
to settle for stuff ground the weekend before. It's as close to perfection
as I need to be.
   If you're into it, order a sack of beans from them and see how you like
them. If you must, I bet you could request green beans: Rik, the guy who
runs this place, has been amenable to requests in the past, and I'm sure
he'd be thrilled to ship anywere.

> > Johnson & Wales University -- Providence, RI
> Isn't J&W that famous cooking school?

   How nice of you to notice! :7) Yes, that's us: we loosed Emeril on the
world, as well as thousands of other food service professionals. Though
we're best known for the Culinary program -- and justifiably so *preen* --
there's a lot of other degrees that they grant here. It's no Sorbonne, but
the graduates seem competent enough. One nice benefit of working here is
that once in a while we get to take one-day classes; so far (I've taken one
on grilling meat, one on pizza, and another on cocktail-party-type
appetizers that I've kind of forgotten.) We use the kitchen classrooms,
we're taught by the chef instructors, and -- best of all! -- we get a
student each to fetch stuff for us and to keep us from cutting off our
fingers. I like it here.
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt