[geeks] How can people put up with this....

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Aug 8 09:09:23 CDT 2002

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 10:49:29AM +0200, William S. wrote:

> I go to Kinko's because I do not own a printer!
> Some people look at me in a strange way when I tell them
> that and also that I have no desire to have one.
> My reason, to attain what I think to be one of the
> basic missions of the computer "revolution": The
> "paperless office".
>
> We have so many ways to share data. Why depend on such an
> old technology?

Because it is more meaningful.   The majority of my printing is for
things where hard copy won't do.  For instance, sometimes it really
sucks to read long papers online.  Or, it is darn handy to have a paper
copy of the directions to a place next to me rather than trying to read
them off my palm pilot while driving.

And when playing guitar, song sheets are far handier than computer
screens (especially since a computer screen would be needed for every
player), especially when it comes to scribbling notes and corrections
down.

The only thing I actively print out to file a paper copy of is the
confirmation page, or whatever, for when I make a credit card payment
online.  Otherwise if I'm printing, it is something that is meant to be
temporary, no to be filed by me or others, with the possible exception
of notes for my love.

Really when it comes down to it, at the moment I don't have a working
printer either.  I have a 3 color HP Deskjet, but the cartridge needs
replaced, and replacements cost more than some new printers, and
additionally, it being 3 color means that all output sucks (I suppose
someone could have made a nice 3 color printer, but I've never heard of
one).  I also have a postscript TI laser printer, but it is
malfunctioning, and I can never figure out how to fix it.  Perhaps I
should set it up, and get my dad to fix it one last time (we have 3 of
the bloody printers).  So, these days, when I want to print, I either
print at school, work, or go to my dad's computer and download the file
and print it out there.

--
Joshua D. Boyd