[geeks] How can people put up with this....

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Aug 8 08:54:30 CDT 2002

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 05:16:57AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   For the most part, I agree.  However, I own several printers and I
> use them frequently.  Why?  I read a *lot* of material...a lot of
> times I'll print it out so I can take it to the kitchen table with me
> t read while I eat, or sometimes I prefer to read something long from
> paper instead of the screen to help with eye fatigue.  Also, for stuff
> like schematics and electronic component data (pinouts, etc) I'll
> print stuff out to take over to the electronics workbench where
> there's is no (and will be no) terminal of any sort.

You don't read off the 20th aniversery Mac?  And I'm shocked that you
don't have a machine at your electronics bench.

>   Printing stuff out to stick in a filing cabinet is a stupid relic of
> the past that some suits just can't seem to let go of...they don't
> understand something unless they feel the texture of paper under their
> fingers.  However, printing stuff on paper does have other uses for
> some people like myself.

It seems that we are trying hard to cut down on the amount of actual
paper used in my department.  What I'm working on at the moment is
making all the reporting programs I've written over the past year go
straight to PDF.  Unfortunately, the people in the labs still record
directly to paper (at least they do when the machine won't go directly
into the computer), and those original copies still need to be filed
away. But at least we increasingly don't have to print stuff out just to
scan it back in again, and at least we don't send huge stacks of paper
to every client anymore (although I have the feeling they just print out
the PDFs anyway).

--
Joshua D. Boyd