[geeks] How can people put up with this....

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Aug 8 04:16:57 CDT 2002

On August 8, William S. wrote:
> I go to Kinko's because I do not own a printer!
> Some people look at me in a strange way when I tell them
> that and also that I have no desire to have one.
> My reason, to attain what I think to be one of the
> basic missions of the computer "revolution": The
> "paperless office".
>
> Have people forgotten about this concept? I know there are
> instances where you need to print material to publish or
> distribute but some people don't even try to embrace the concept.
> Seems like a normal thing to find something and print it out
> and put it in a filing cabinet. If I have something I want to
> share I usually email a text or pdf file directly or send them
> I link to my web server where they can see it.
>
> We have so many ways to share data. Why depend on such an
> old technology?

  For the most part, I agree.  However, I own several printers and I
use them frequently.  Why?  I read a *lot* of material...a lot of
times I'll print it out so I can take it to the kitchen table with me
t read while I eat, or sometimes I prefer to read something long from
paper instead of the screen to help with eye fatigue.  Also, for stuff
like schematics and electronic component data (pinouts, etc) I'll
print stuff out to take over to the electronics workbench where
there's is no (and will be no) terminal of any sort.

  Printing stuff out to stick in a filing cabinet is a stupid relic of
the past that some suits just can't seem to let go of...they don't
understand something unless they feel the texture of paper under their
fingers.  However, printing stuff on paper does have other uses for
some people like myself.

           -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                     "I haven't worn pants in 14 months!"
St. Petersburg, FL                                   -Pete Wargo