[geeks] How can people put up with this....

William S. wstan at xs4all.nl
Thu Aug 8 03:49:29 CDT 2002

There is a Kinko's here in Amsterdam. They are open
24/7 which can be handy. It is unusual to have 24/7
places here in Amsterdam. You would think there would
be but I guess it is not the Dutch way of doing things.

Last time I went there one of the color printers was
"broken". People were standing around waiting for one
of the employees to fix it but she was not ready to
be of service. She was sitting at one of the workstations
at here desk and just ignoring people. Finally, I went
over to the manager who himself came over. He apologized
saying this was a common problem with complaints about her.
Me: She would have been let go that same day or given a
very strong warning. Amazing how one bad employee can
effect a companies image so much.

I go to Kinko's because I do not own a printer!
Some people look at me in a strange way when I tell them
that and also that I have no desire to have one.
My reason, to attain what I think to be one of the
basic missions of the computer "revolution": The
"paperless office".

Have people forgotten about this concept? I know there are
instances where you need to print material to publish or
distribute but some people don't even try to embrace the concept.
Seems like a normal thing to find something and print it out
and put it in a filing cabinet. If I have something I want to
share I usually email a text or pdf file directly or send them
I link to my web server where they can see it.

We have so many ways to share data. Why depend on such an
old technology?

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 08:36:33PM -0400, dave at cca.org wrote:
> I left my apartment today for an afternoon of flyering.  I had a
> staple gun, a box of extra staples, and my flyer, which I had made
> the night before, as a postscript file on a DOS floppy.
>
> I went to three print shops: A Sir Speedy, and two different Kinkos.
> All three of them could read my file, and had a postscript laser
> printer, but NOT ONE OF THEM was able to send the postscript file
> to the postscript printer.

<snip>

--
Bill