[geeks] funny way to start the day

Will Mc Donald geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Sep 21 02:26:56 CDT 2001

From: "Bill Bradford" <mrbill at mrbill.net>
> etc.  I spent way too much time in tech support.  One of the
> best times I ever had, was when I actually got to say:
>
> "Yes, sir, you  may be a {doctor|lawyer|etc}, but right now,
>  you have a computer problem, and I'm the person who is trying
>  to help you fix it despite your attitude.  You wouldn't try
>  to tell your mechanic how to fix your car, or wouldnt like it
>  if someone told you how to {perform surgery|do a court case},
>  would you?  Thank you.  Now, follow my instructions.."

Hehe, BTDT. I used to actually quite enjoy the aggro customers but sometimes
they get so out of hand it's just not funny anymore.

We had one bloke who would just consistently phone us to complain about
services (or the proceedures for dealing with problems with the services)
without even giving us a chance to help, *really* obnoxious. Eventually we
were told not to deal with him at all, just hang-up. When *his* management
found out he'd been doing this I think they fired him in the end.

I actually heard one of the non-techie helpdesk people the other day tell a
guy to "calm down before you give yourself a heart attack." Which brought a
smile to my face. :)

> Someone told me once that I got this "tech support voice" when
> doing phones that had this "dont fuck with me, I know what I'm
> talking about" tone to it.

I think this is something you need to develop if you're going to survive
doing support.