[geeks] funny way to start the day

Peter L. Wargo geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Sep 20 22:54:57 CDT 2001

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Bill Bradford wrote:

> "Yes, sir, you  may be a {doctor|lawyer|etc}, but right now,
>  you have a computer problem, and I'm the person who is trying
>  to help you fix it despite your attitude.  You wouldn't try
   [...]

Two true stories about NCGR CEO's.  (For those who don't know my history,
I was head of systems at the National Center for Pretentious Name...er..
Genome Resources before coming to Sun.)

First story:

Because I am AT&T (Lucent) Certified on phone switches and voice mail, I
took on the responsibility of our new Lucent Definity phone system.
During that time that NCGR and its for-profit spin-off were still run by
the same CEO, so I reported to him for both companies.  One week, while he
took off for one of his *many* vacations in Nantucket, our long-distance
went out.  I spent 4 days on the phone, working with MCI and US/Worst to
try and resolve the problem.  On day 5 (Friday), "Dr. Ed" returns, and
calls me to chew me out:
"Do you have any idea how much of a problem this is?  Don't you know that
a business runs on its phones?  Get off your ass and fix it NOW!"

That was the last straw in a very bad week. With my horrified co-worker
Forrest listining in behind me, I replied:

"Ed, cut the pissed-off CEO bullshit, it won't work on me."

"Do you realize who you are talking to?"

"Yes, I do.  You're calling me and bitching me out when I'm doing my best
to fix the problem.  Instead of pitching a fit, why don't you ask what you
can do to help?"

<click>

But, he was much nicer to me after that.

2nd story:

The last CEO I had (6 in 4 years before I left) was an older MD type, who
was once commissioner of health in NYC, as well as a former Surgeon
General for the US Army.  One day, he stopped me and asked the dreaded
question:

"I have this problem with my PC at home..."

To which I replied:

"Steve, you're a doctor.  Don't you hate it at parties when somebody comes
up to you and describes a pain and asks for a diagnosis?"

He got the point.  (Smart man.)

-Pete