[geeks] Re: [rescue] This Just In: HP to buy Compaq

Gregory Leblanc geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Sep 16 12:17:46 CDT 2001

On Sun, 2001-09-16 at 08:04, Matthew Haas wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Sep 2001, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> >
> > I did find something at Radio Shack the other day that intrigued me.  Some
> > sort of electronic cooling device - the bottem gets very cool, while the top
> > gets hot.  Apparently you place it between the CPU and the heatsink - witha
> > fan on top.  Looked pretty trick - anyone know how well it works?
> >

> Sounds like a Peltier device to me... check this out before playing with
> it:

Woah, I've been looking for a peltier device for like 6 months now, the
only things that I've been able to find up to now are things designed
for much larger applications than cooling a CPU or such (they're the
size of a letter piece of paper or something).  I don't suppose you know
any other sites where one can buy these, do you?

I actually want to run it in reverse of what these guys are doing.  I've
got a couple of chunks of metal, one is a stand to hold things up off of
the wood stove, and the other is a set of heat-sinc fans.  The peltier
device gets sandwiched in between these two, and a small electric motor,
with a fan, gets hooked to the peltier device.  The heat from the wood
stove causes the peltier device to generate electrical power output,
which then runs the motor fan.  The peltier device that I had has a few
broken links, so I need to replace it.
	Greg

P.S.  reply to geeks, as this isn't a rescue topic anymore