[geeks] Hijacked

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Sep 12 23:01:55 CDT 2001

>I personally don't think that allowing CCW civilians to carry on planes is
>*entirely* good.  However - I'm listening.

listening helps :)

>There may be a good way to do that - but I don't know what it is.  I'm
>interested though, and wondering who that would include - mostly LEOs I'm
>sure.  *That* can't be entirely bad - since we trust those guys to carry on
>the streets anyway.

We trust certain citizens to carry on the streets, too.

as far as weapons go, they are dangerous to have on aircraft. I know a bit about how decom feels. I can't say that playing boot hill on a commercial aircraft is a good idea, but i can't say it's worse than what happened yesterday.

requirements: foreign nationals do not generally get CCW permits. adn something like this would almost necessitate a federal licensing and qualification program for this type of permit extension.

keeping this type of ability out of the hands of terrorists isn't the same as trying to keep them from buying windows 2000.

>Perhaps deputizing any LEOs that get on a plane?  LEOs and family fly for
>half price?  I think that might be doable.

hell yes. i just do NOT like the idea of this being restricted to law enforcement personell. I may have some unpopular atavistic tendencies, but I really don't trust governments, and making people *more* reliant on any arm of strikes me as bad.

if i had to go through another background check (please just reference the ones i went through in the military and be done with it?) some straining (even if I had to pay for it), and special ammunition requirements. *shrug* I'd do it.

I don't mean to bring heavy politics into this. I think it relates right now to some very important issues. i think maybe the level of disarmament in america has gotten dangerous.....

-Christof