[geeks] MSFT == a-holes! Apple rules, All hail Apple!

Simeon Johnston geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Sep 7 13:53:39 CDT 2001

Big Endian wrote:
> What netscape are you using?  I've had very little problem with 4.0.5
> on my 8500 running 8.6.  I do have 96mb of ram on it though so that
> might make a difference.

4.78...  Maybe that's my problem.  I have to downgrade. :)
Other than the ram thing (and the network communication stopping for no
reason) it works fine.  It doesn't do it as much now but every once in a
while I'll notice that I'm missing 50MB ram after I quit...
BTW, I got 384MB ram - Beige G3 Desktop.

> Oooh... have fun.  Make sure to grab all the Inside Macintosh PDFs
> apple has burried on their website.  I have a bunch of them if
> anybody needs them.  I would recommend that you write to the carbon
> spec if possible just so it runs under both 8.6 and X without
> recompiles.

Inside Macintosh?  I thought those were only in printed form...
I'll have to find them now. :)

> Apple script rocks.  I used to use it all the time back in the 7 Pro
> days.  Anybody remember System 7 Pro?  I haven't used it in a long
> time but I think that I could do a lot with it if I needed to.  It
> was especially usefull with codewarrior when I needed to do something
> to a large number of files (automate search/replace/indent accross an
> entire project).  The one thing about writing for OS X is I miss my
> codewarrior scripts that I had built up.

I've been using it w/ Quark, Retrospect and some basic system
maintenance stuff.

> You can do a lot of what I did with AS with expect/sh/sed/awk/grep
> but thats limited to file stuff primarily.  You can't interact with
> netscape through those.

That's what I mean.  No real program control.  Of course that depends on
the program.  If the program supports, say Python, you could probably do
some of the things.  Not too sure about that though.

> A friend of mine recently wrote an airport network scanner for his
> iBook.  He drives arround torronto with his iBook sysbeeping when
> ever it finds an open network.  Its things like that (interacting
> with the airport app directly) that can't be done without AS.

Awesome.

sim