[geeks] MSFT == a-holes! Apple rules, All hail Apple!

Big Endian geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Sep 7 09:33:32 CDT 2001

>I've been reading all the comments on MacOS.  I LOVE MacOS but don't
>have a computer that'll handle X yet.  I'm stuck w/ 8.6.
>It's very stable for me.  Of course I have to reboot nightly, NOT
>because the system is unstable but because netcrap takes memory and
>doesn't give it back.  I need all the ram I can get for the nightly
>server backup (Retrospect rules BTW).

What netscape are you using?  I've had very little problem with 4.0.5
on my 8500 running 8.6.  I do have 96mb of ram on it though so that
might make a difference.

>I also am learning to program for the mac (pre X).  I have grand plans....

Oooh... have fun.  Make sure to grab all the Inside Macintosh PDFs
apple has burried on their website.  I have a bunch of them if
anybody needs them.  I would recommend that you write to the carbon
spec if possible just so it runs under both 8.6 and X without
recompiles.

>What I haven't seen yet is anyone's opinion on Applescript.  I have done
>a bit w/ applescript and find it to be very easy and powerfull.  I love
>being able to automate most of my job.  Granted that a dead hering could
>do my job but still...

Apple script rocks.  I used to use it all the time back in the 7 Pro
days.  Anybody remember System 7 Pro?  I haven't used it in a long
time but I think that I could do a lot with it if I needed to.  It
was especially usefull with codewarrior when I needed to do something
to a large number of files (automate search/replace/indent accross an
entire project).  The one thing about writing for OS X is I miss my
codewarrior scripts that I had built up.

>I have never seen anything like it for *nix machines.  If there is
>please tell me.

You can do a lot of what I did with AS with expect/sh/sed/awk/grep
but thats limited to file stuff primarily.  You can't interact with
netscape through those.

>Anyone have any experience w/ Applescript?

A friend of mine recently wrote an airport network scanner for his
iBook.  He drives arround torronto with his iBook sysbeeping when
ever it finds an open network.  Its things like that (interacting
with the airport app directly) that can't be done without AS.

daniel