[geeks] MSFT == a-holes! Apple rules, All hail Apple!

Peter L. Wargo geeks at sunhelp.org
Sat Sep 8 00:22:06 CDT 2001

> What I haven't seen yet is anyone's opinion on Applescript.  I have done
> a bit w/ applescript and find it to be very easy and powerfull.  I love
> being able to automate most of my job.  Granted that a dead hering could
> do my job but still...

Well, I am embarking on a project to build a web-driven MP3 server for our
home stereo system, based on a PM7600 (when it arrives!), MacOS 9.X,
MacHttp, Soundjam MP, and Applescript.  I plan on documejnting the
process, should it actually work.

> I have never seen anything like it for *nix machines.  If there is
> please tell me.

Hmmm... A combination of shell scripts, pipes, expect, and such.  UNIX is
like a good instrument - you learn the basics in a short time, but mastery
is a delightful liftetime of effort.

(Actually, I look forward to trying OS X's trick of linking Applescripts
to shell scripts.  Too cool.)

> Anyone have any experience w/ Applescript?

Place I used to work at was in the publishing industry, and had a
full-time applescript guy.

-Pete