[geeks] MSFT == a-holes! Apple rules, All hail Apple!

Simeon Johnston geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Sep 7 09:18:49 CDT 2001

"Peter L. Wargo" wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Greg A. Woods wrote:
>
> > Of course for the GUI-brained masses there's also MacOS, and you don't
> > have to run any M$ crapware on MacOS if you don't want to.
>
> How about: "Of course, for those who have a need to run commerrcial or
> educational software that is targeted toward the non-UNIX user, MacOS is a
> better choice than any mickeysoft POS.

Agreed.

> Keep in mind that MacOS X is UNIX under the gloss, and prettty good at
> that.  I, as much as anybody, use UNIX for a buttload of things (Ummm...
> my company prefers it?), but I have both SPARCstations and Macs at home.
> Different tools for different needs.  I would be foolish to trry and
> shoehorn my needs into one system, if two can cover them better.

Looks more like your left index finger is sticking to me.
:)
tttttttttrrrrrrrrr...  Hope the saki was good.

> They're tools, not a religion.  If I could rely on Windows (and if it
> worked in a way that I found productive) I'd use it.  But, MacOS and UNIX
> fill my needs.

Mine too.

I agree.
M$ sucks big red monkey ***.

I've been reading all the comments on MacOS.  I LOVE MacOS but don't
have a computer that'll handle X yet.  I'm stuck w/ 8.6.
It's very stable for me.  Of course I have to reboot nightly, NOT
because the system is unstable but because netcrap takes memory and
doesn't give it back.  I need all the ram I can get for the nightly
server backup (Retrospect rules BTW).

I also am learning to program for the mac (pre X).  I have grand plans....

What I haven't seen yet is anyone's opinion on Applescript.  I have done
a bit w/ applescript and find it to be very easy and powerfull.  I love
being able to automate most of my job.  Granted that a dead hering could
do my job but still...

I have never seen anything like it for *nix machines.  If there is
please tell me.

Anyone have any experience w/ Applescript?

sim