[geeks] arrrggghhh

Greg A. Woods geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 15 14:13:30 CDT 2001

[ On Monday, October 15, 2001 at 14:26:59 (-0400), Joshua D Boyd wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] arrrggghhh
>
> Here I thought that we were just talking about mail reading.  In my
> opinion, the two should be seperate programs for seperate tasks.

They are actually very, very, very similar and very tightly related
tasks from the user's point of view -- the only important differences
between newsgroups and mailing lists are totally invisible to users.

Why impose an artificial, tool/implementation-based, separation where
logically and functionally there's no difference?

Now on the other hand if you'd said mailing lists should be read and
posted to from within a news reader, I might have had a different reply! ;-)

However personally I've more ore less avoided anything and everything to
do with newsgroups of any kind for so long now that I really don't care
any more.  I suppose if I were to get involved in some new venture where
a widely distributed high-volume multiplicity of group discussion forums
were necessary I'd still choose newsgroups over anything else to
implement them, but until/unless that happens I could care less about
all that stuff.  Mailing lists work just fine for me for now.

[[ if anyone mentions web-based tools I'll shove them right back at you
in such a painful way you won't dare even dream of them again!  ;-) ]]

> So what do you use?

read the headers in any of my messages....  :-)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>