[geeks] Vegetarianism... was Re: [rescue] Friggin huge list m embers!)

Fogg, James geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 15 10:56:59 CDT 2001

As a semi-veggie (I include eggs and dairy), I find the level of suspicion
amusing. Vegetarianism has been around forever, and was practiced heavily in
Jesus' time (hence PETA's proclamation that Jesus was a veggie).

Know this..
You can get everything you need from veggies, but you do need a wide variety
to accomplish it.
You don't have to give up meat taste with the new generation of substitutes
(Grillers Prime rock).
The one vitamin that is difficult to find in the veggie diet (B12) is
readily available in multivitamins.
You absolutely cannot get everything your body needs on a carnivorous diet.
The only animal (that I know of anyways) that is meant to eat meat
exclusively is cats (big and small).
If you knew how animals were raised, slaughtered and treated for market you
wouldn't go near meat.
If you knew how much contamination (microbial) and pollution of meat occurs
you wouldn't touch it.

The only benefits of a diet that includes meat is a very concentrated source
of protein and fats.

I just don't think we were meant to eat other mammals, and Mad Cow disease
(and human CJ variants) are a good example of why. When you eat animals
who's DNA is so close to yours you are subject to their diseases. In fact,
most new influenza are a product of cross breeding between avian and swine
diseases that humans fall prey to. Every 1 to 5 years we have a new flu
strain.